Sunday, July 17, 2011

Port Clinton-Fort Meigs

Just outside of Toledo is Ft. Meigs. During the War of 1812, William Henry Harrison, who later became president, commanded at this fort during a major battle with the British and Indians, which were led by Tecumseh.

Ft. Meigs was built so as to protect travel and trade on the Maumee River, and subsequent travel on the Great Lakes. The fort was laid to seige several times by the British, but never succeeded.


Heading out to the reconstructed fort.






Just a few miles away is the memorial for the Battle of Fallen Timbers. This battle, in 1794, was the last battle between the American Indians and the United States over control of the Northwest Territory. The defeat of the Indians led to the signing of the Treaty of Greenville, which ceded much of what is today Ohio, to the U.S.

No comments: