Thursday, March 6, 2014

Waco and visiting friends

I met Doug and Laura back in 2001, while still working and living in my RV in Wichita, KS.  We have kept in touch, but hadn't gotten together again until now.
A selfie


Although I had driven through Waco many times, I had never really stopped and done any exploring.  I still didn't do much exploring, only having one day, but Laura did take me downtown.  This is the original toll bridge built in 1870.  The company building it was guaranteed no other bridge could be built within 5 miles.


It's hard to imagine this bridge carried all the traffic of the day, pedestrians, wagons and even cattle herds were driven over this bridge.  Although people complained about the tolls, it wasn't until 1889 that the bridge was sold to the county, then given to the city of Waco, who made it a free bridge.  It is now a pedestrian only bridge.


In front of the bridge are large bronze statues honoring the men and cattle drives which once used this bridge.


No comments: