Friday, March 7, 2014

Fredericksburg and Big Game Farms

One day, Margaret and I headed towards one of the best little German towns in Texas, Fredericksburg.  In addition to good German food, there is the Nimitz Museum, named after one of the town's own.
St. Mary's Catholic Church.  This building was finished in 1906.


Not as ornate as some churches I have been in, it was very beautiful.


The large pipe organ is located in the choir loft above the entrance.


The old St. Mary's Church was built in 1863, replacing the log cabin built when the parish was started with some of the first German immigrants in 1846.


The inside of the old church is much plainer than the newer church, but is still used as a chapel.


Although this building was completed in 1893, the congregation of the Holy Ghost Evangelical Lutheran Church trace their origins to the first protestant services held in 1846 by German immigrants.


Admiral Chester Nimitz was born and raised in Fredericksburg.  I have been to the museum several times before, but I always see something new each time.  It is the best WWII museum I have been to.


This large, life size bronze statue of Admiral Nimitz was placed in the plaze in front of the museum last year.


I knew there were large game farms located between Fredericksburg and Bandera, but I never expected to see this sight alongside the highway on my way between the two towns.


No comments: