Monday, February 10, 2014

The Holidays



Risen Savior Lutheran Church had a woman's Christmas luncheon.  We were entertained with these ladies and their skit about proper etiquette.


I got to visit my grandkids in Oklahoma City.


On the way to Tahlequah, OK, I stopped at this historical marker in Dexter, KS.  I guess the drillers were quite surprised when their well didn't burn the way most oil and natural gas wells do.  But evidently, this well was instrumental in providing helium for Navy dirigibles in the late 1920s, and then again in the 1950s when the demand became necessary for nuclear reactors and missisles.  Sadly, today, this town is not much more than a ghost town.



One of my favorite restaurants in Oklahoma was Del Rancho.  They had the best chicken fried steak sandwiches.  I thought they were out of business, but here they were in Tahlequah.


Of course, I had to have one.  They were still as great as I remembered.  And yes, the steak really was that much larger than the bun.

I spent a few days before Christmas with my son, Aaron, his wife, Holly, and the grandkids, Adrion and Gavin.


This quilt came from my grandmother, who passed away before I was born.  I found the quilt top in a box when I was cleaning out my mothers house.  A friend in Mississippi still hand quilts and I sent it to her to finish.  The quilt top was all hand pieced and over 60 years old.  I wanted it to be hand quilted as it was finished.


After I headed to Oklahoma City, Aaron took the boys to a local ice skating rink.  Adrion seems a natural.


Gavin is just now getting his legs underneath him, but he does better than I probably would.


I wanted to spend Christmas also with the grandkids in Oklahoma City, so about mid day on Christmas, I took the RV and headed to Oklahoma City.


I arrived in time to be with the grandkids on Christmas evening.  Here is (L-R) Cale, Colin, Carter and Caitlin.


I actually got Amy to pose in front of the tree too.


Although I didn't get any pictures, my church in Edmond has put in a couple of electrical plugs and I stayed in their parking lot while in Oklahoma City.  It's a great idea for members family and friends or even traveling members like myself, to be able to park in the church parking lot.  In fact, I wasn't the only one there, someone else was taking advantage of the opportunity.

I returned to Amy's house the next day to help the grandkids experiment with the mentos project (which was one of the presents I had brought them).  We tried it with various sodas and it did seem to work better with sprite (which is what the instructions called for).  But sadly, it didn't spray as high as some of the you tube videos I've been.  Needless to say, we still had a fun time.  



This was one of my favorite presents, a coffee cup with the grandkids pictures.
  

1 comment:

Barbara and Ron said...

For a minute, I thought the church women were just really late with their Christmas luncheon. :-D

Gosh, those kids are getting big.