Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Weekend at Platt Historic District

which is a part of Chickasaw National Recreation Area in Sulphur, OK.  I spent a lot of time here growing up and in my 20s.  But moved away and didn't get back much.  Now I am taking my grandson, Adrion, and sharing some of my love of this area with him.
Saw this sign at a local American Legion post.  I kinda liked it.

Bromide well.

I think that says it all.  In the early 1900s there were 33 springs in this area, but by  the 1930s there were only 19.  Some dried up and others joined together.  Today there are only about 4 significant springs left.   The springs have been affected by drought, contaminants and changes by developers outside the park area.

This bridge was built by the CCC back in the 1930s.  For more info on this park and the surrounding area, visit my blog from my visit to Sulphur in 2009.

I actually got Adrion to try the water from the Vendome Well.  They say sulphur water is good for you, but I don't want to drink it.  After he tasted it, neither did he. Yuck.

Antelope Springs, one of the remaining springs.  In 2009 it was almost dry.

This is Buffalo Springs today.

This was Buffalo Springs in 2009.  They had a very bad drought that year.  The ranger said the springs all have water in them this year so far, but could go dry again if there isn't enough rain.

This park is located inside Sulphur city limits.  Wandering through the trails it is hard to remember that houses are just a few blocks away, and downtown is only .5 mile.

This is Little Niagara Falls.  I still think its too cold for swimming, but there were some kids who didn't care, they swam anyway.

These stone picnic benches are made from the natural rock found in this area, called  travertine.  They were also built by the CCC back in the 1930s.

Adrion crossing the top of Little Niagara.  

We were camped out at Lake of the Arbuckles, about 5 miles out of town.  We had  a campfire every night and Adrion roasted and ate a whole package of marshmellows over the weekend.


No comments: