Thursday, April 12, 2012

Kayaking the Medina River

Putting in on the Medina River.  Two years ago the water was higher and it was a great float.  Last year there was no water.  Even though the water was lower than two years ago, I thought we could navigate the river.  So 14 of us took off on the appx. 5 mile, 3 hour float trip.

We quickly discovered it was going to be a very exciting trip.  Some of us chose to try the falls here, while others portaged around.  I did make it, but my kayak is quickly filling up with water since I did not have a skirt.   

Here is Ron going over the falls.

He ended up getting a little wet.

With the water so low, we had numerous little falls to go over.

Carlene show us it is acceptable to be fashionable at all times, even while kayaking.

Max and Patty got out and helped everyone through this shallow area.

Another of the numerous falls along the river.

We even had a little bit of fast water in a few places.


And one stretch of wide, smooth water. 

The final waterfall.

And some 5 1/2 hours later (instead of what I thought would be 3) we arrived back at camp.  But I think everyone agreed it was an adventure not to be quickly forgotten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading
it, you might be a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will
often come back at some point. I want to encourage one to continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!
Also see my webpage > Owl City