Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Carlsbad, NM

I had never been to Carlsbad Caverns. One of the most famous caves, yet one which I hadn't visited, until today.

We spent 2 1/2 hours wandering through the natural opening down to the Big Room, which is the size of 14 football fields. I usually don't get good pictures down in caves so I left my camera topside. Sorry, no pictures. But Grandkids, if you are reading this, I did buy postcards which I will be sending soon.

The following day Max and I headed south to the Guadalupe Mountains.
I wanted to do some hiking in the area. Although these were only the trails available at this trailhead,  there were several other trailheads. I wish I would have had more time, but now I have a reason to return.


We hiked Guadalupe Peak Trail. And so you don't have to do back and read about it, the elevation is 3000 ft and the round trip is 8.4 miles RT. Here I am at the beginning.

I'm not even a third of the way up and already the parking lot and the cars look like small specks.

About half way up we encountered this bridge.

Probably 2/3 of the way there. Behind me is El Capiton Mountain.

Well here I am at the top of Guadalupe Peak, elevation appx 8800 feet, and as you can see I was starved. That was hard work. Guadalupe Peak is the highest summit in the state of Texas.

Just signed in on the log and getting our picture taken with the top of the mountain marker. As we were getting ready to head back down the lady sitting to the side recognized Max. She is an inactive WIN whose name is Hilda. She was on her way to the SKP Park nearby and stopped just to hike the peak.
It took us 3 hours to hike up, we spent 1/2 hour eating lunch and visiting with the other hikers, then another 2 1/2 hours to hike down. What a great hike.

We stayed in Carlsbad, NM, a small town on the Pecos River. They have put a small dam on the river and created Lake Carlsbad. Along this 1 mile area they have created parks, walking/biking paths, a large playground area, a beach area, even a riverboat ride. If you ever get in this area, check it out.

No comments: