Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Headed through Texas

My first stop after leaving Oklahoma was Weatherford, TX, just east of Ft. Worth. This is the courthouse on the square.

The next day as I was headed to Sonora, TX, I took a Texas Ranch Road which led me down to Fort McKavett State Historic Site. Unluckily it was raining and I chose not to explore on foot, although I did stroll through the museum.

This was not a walled fort, but a frontier fort. Primary soldiers stationed here were Buffalo soldiers. Although I had heard this term many times before, I did not realize it was the Indians name for the black soldier since he was the color of the buffalo. Maybe I can get back here someday when it is not cold and raining and get a chance to investigate the ruins.

This is what the road looked like for most of my 200+ miles. Nice road, but narrow and no shoulders and very isolated. But it was a peaceful drive even if it was raining the whole way.

I saw a lot of this, mistletoe. In Oklahoma they named it the state flower (it is pretty when it blooms), but it is actually a parasite and can kill the trees.

No comments: