Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On the Road Again

Update on my dental work. I went back to Algodones on Saturday morning. In fact, I was there when the dentist arrived. He got me right in, did some more adjustments and less than 1 hour later I walked straight back across the border. And that was over 5 days ago. No more problems. I left Yuma Saturday and returned to Apache Junction. On Sunday I went out to the rodeo grounds for Lost Dutchman Days. Listened to a couple of bands, ate fair food, then left and went shopping. 

But Monday things changed. I'm now in a dispute over my retirement check from Boeing and I'm hoping I will win, but I need my paperwork and it's in storage. But the worst thing was news my mother hurt her leg and was having trouble walking. This is bad because she takes care of my father. So after several calls and a lot of discussion on Wednesday morning I headed back to Eufaula, OK, to help out. A cousin who lives close by has thankfully gone over to stay with them until I get there. And then Tuesday more happened. My youngest son called to let me know the apartment complex where he lives caught fire and burned on Tuesday. Only several apartments actually burned, but they were next to his so there was lots of water damage and smoke damage. And of course everyone in the complex had to find somewhere else to stay since the apartments were no longer liveable with the damage and no utilities. They always say when it rains and pours and boy did it pour down on Monday and Tuesday. But there was the positive. Even during this dispute over my retirement check and even if I lose, I'm still ok. There were friends and family to help my mom. And my son, nor anyone else, was hurt in the fire and he has somewhere to go until he finds a new place to live. There is always a rainbow after a storm, sometimes it's just hard to find.

But before leaving Apache Junction I got to revisit a place I hadn't been for 4 years and got to see some new territory. Max and I took a drive out the Historic Apache Trail from Apache Junction past Tortilla Flats on up to Roosevelt Lake, then returned via Punkin Center and Lake Saguaro. I had been as far as Tortilla Flats 4 years ago, but had not taken the drive the rest of the way to Roosevelt Lake. How beautiful it was. With all the rain and warm temps the cactus and desert flowers think it is later in the spring and are blooming. Everything was green and gorgeous. I have never been in the desert in the spring and have never seen the desert beauty like this before. I did get some pictures but haven't downloaded them off the camera yet. So, they will get uploaded later. 

Tonight I am sitting in a truck stop in Grant, NM. I also drove new territory today coming from Apache Junction through Globe, Show Low and on up to I-40. It was an interesting drive. Some of the steepest and curviest driving I've done yet. But I wasn't in any hurry and would not hesitate to do it again. The Salt River Valley was also pretty. But since my intent is to get to OK quickly, I am now on I-40, along a stretch I have driven several times. Nothing particularly spectacular, just lots of pavement and truckers.

1 comment:

Barbara and Ron said...

I hope your mother is up and dancing soon and I'm glad your son wasn't hurt. You're so right about looking on the bright side.