Monday, June 9, 2014

Peru

Finally, I'm home and can start my blogging about my big trip to Peru.  I flew into Lima, Peru, the capitol and a town of 10 million people.  It consists of the original old historical center, surrounded by 43 districts, with each district having its own mayor and taxes.  Very busy, very urban and very different from the rest of the country.
I wanted to take my hiking boots, but they took up too much room in my luggage, so I wore them.  I'm sure I made a fashion statement with my hiking boots and skirt.


My hotel in Lima, the Jose Antonio.


Our trip leader, Edgard, serving us our welcoming Pisco Sours.  


I love this logo, but notice the English translation.  Even though they speak English, their translations on signs and brochures is difficult to understand at times.


Just a few blocks from the hotel is the Pacific Ocean.  I was staying in the district of MiraFlores, one of the more affluent areas.


The community is built right on the cliff edges next to the ocean.


The next day we explored the city of Lima by first going to the National Museum of Archeology, Anthroplogy and History in Bolivar Square.  It was a great museum and the tour only had allowed 45 minutes, but our group had so many questions, it extended for another hour.  I would love to discuss the history of Peru and its culture, but that would take too much time.  So, I am just including a few pictures and a little history.

This granite slap, called a stella, was discovered in a peasant's hut in 1874 by an Italian traveler. The stella was carved in the image of a deity known only as the Staff Bearing God, and was worshiped between 1500-500 B.C.  Over 3000 years old.


Since Peru dates back over 4500 years, there is pottery from every civilization throughout its history.  Each culture had its own unique signature for dating the pottery.  I believe these pots were of the Wari Culture, 500-1000 A.D.  These fancy pots would not have been used for everyday, but were signs of wealth to be buried with its owner.


I was most fascinated with the woven cloth, some of which is over 1000 years old.  The detail and intricacy of the weavings and the colors are wonderful, especially knowing how old some of these cloths are.  


This is a burial bundle.  Ancient cultures believed death was simply a rebirth to another life.  So in preparation, they placed the body into a fetal position.  They did not embalm the body, but the dry conditions in many parts of this country allowed them to place the body in the desert where it would mummify.  After mummification, it would be wrapped and buried in a cave.


More weavings.


And more weavings.  Look at all patterns.  This Inca design is called a Tocapu.


This loom, of the Paracas Culture, produced weavings 800-100 B.C.E.



The Paracus men wore hairdressings and even fox pelts as a wig, to denote hierarchy and masculinity.


I now know why they say aliens were in Peru many years ago.  These skulls have been found that are approximately 2000 years old.


A baby's head was wrapped, forcing the soft skull to shape into the elongated head.  It was done primarily to royalty to show their superiority.



Lima has several different archeological sites of ruins dating from several different cultures as far back as 200 A.D.


I will be updating the blog daily over the next week or so as I share my visit to Peru.

No comments: