Saturday, February 19, 2011

Squaw Peak

Once the dance rally was over it was back to Apache Junction. Usually I start the day with a 3 mile walk to a local convenience store for coffee. The coffee is just an excuse, it is really for the purpose of walking the dog. But sometimes, it's more fun to actually go somewhere for a real hike. One day we took Fancy and hiked Usury Pass Trail at Usury Park, a 7.5 mile loop around Usury Mountain. But Fancy was left at home the day we headed for Squaw Peak. Dogs are not allowed on the summit trail and that was our goal.

Summit Trail is 1.2 miles and 1000 feet straight up. Or at least it feels that way.

Although there is a path, most of the time I felt like I was a billy goat scrambling over the rocks.

But we did make it to the top. And what a view of the entire Phoenix area.

Look real hard and you will see me across at the top of the hill. I saw someone else over there and had to go see for myself. No path, so to arrive at the top, I truly had to 'scramble' up the rocks. Too bad it was so far away, almost 40 miles one way, it would be fun to do this hike more often.

No comments: