Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Fiesta Festivtal in San Antonio

Following the dance rally in Bandera, I headed to San Antonio.  I was going to take a few days and recoup, but then the Fiesta Festival was going on.  The festival had just started, so I was going to miss all the parades, but I did get to visit the festivities down at Market Square.  The Fiesta Festival is 10 days long and celebrates the Battle of San Antonio.  
There were three different stages with music going on from 10am until at least midnight every night of the festival.


It seemed as if you were trying to wade upstream, the crowd was so thick, but then this wasn't even noon yet and the real crowds hadn't shown up.  No, I don't think I want to be down there later.  Much too crowded for me.


The Plaza Square in front of the cathedral.


San Fernando Cathedral.


This casket holds the remains of those who fought and died at the Alamo.  It is located in a side alcove in the cathedral.


San Antonio's Riverwalk was just a few blocks away from Market Square.


 What could be better than lunch with a friend down on the Riverwalk.


I also did a driving tour of the King William Historic District, taking pictures of the beautiful, elegant homes.  In the late 1800s, this was the most fashionable neighborhood, filled with large homes built in the Greek Revival, Victorian and Italianatte styles, but by the early 1900s, many of the original homeowners had died, their kids had moved to newer neighborhoods and the area fell into disrepair.  In the 1950s and 1960s, it started attracting people who were working downtown and the neighborhood begain another revival.  It was listed as an historic district in the 1970s.  Unfortunately, I seemed to have deleted (or lost) all the photos I took, so I can't show you any of the lovely homes.  During the festival they have home tours available and during the final weekend have a large King William Fair held within the district.

No comments: