Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What Have I Been Doing the Last Month? Well.....

After Bandera, I headed towards Oklahoma City for some family time. But before leaving Bandera, I had made plans to have dinner with my WIN friend, Sandra, who lives in Piedmont, OK. Her boyfriend just bought a duck type ATV so we tried it out.

Here are the guys heading into the water through the trees.

Here are Sandra and I coming out of the water, not in the trees. It was a lot of fun. Those things really float well, they just don't move too fast in the water.

It just happened the OKC Annual Arts Festival was going on while I was there. I hadn't been to one in years.

But my main reason for being there was grandkids. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the grandkids, but I do have this picture of the tiger we saw at the zoo.
 And of course there is a story.....I was trying to not just take a picture, but record the tiger because he was growling and making a lot of noise. I was 2 fences away, but only about 10 feet. I didn't get the video because my 3 year old grandson, Colin, kept grabbing me and crying. He thought I was going to be eaten by the tiger. So all I got on the video was his voice screaming, "no grandma, no, the tigers going to get you".

 
Another night I attended my grandson, Carter's, school event celebrating the Oklahoma Land Run. For this their music teacher taught the entire 3rd grade class to square dance. The video is elsewhere in this blog.

I also got to visit my "adopted granddaughters, Alyssa, Kylie and Audry". We went out to the Jasmine Moran Science Museum and had a great time.

While we were there we spotted a black swan. I had never seen one before.

But my favorite time was taking my 10 year old grandson, Carter, on a road trip to Red Rocks State Park. We spent the weekend climbing rocks and having a great time.

 See the handholds Carter is using?

At one point we were looking for a way down from up on top of the cliffs. We hadn't had much luck until we spotted another camper going down after gathering firewood. We followed him down, but it required some free style climbing, holding onto handholds and footholds. I'm glad we spotted him or we would have had to walk another 1/2 mile or more before finding a way down.
 
Above Carter's head is where we started the decline, but we had to inch it across horizontally for about 50 feet using only handholds and footholds, all while about 5-6 feet above the ground.

We walked over a mile along the cliff tops. It had rained the night before and the rocks were really slippery.

But tree climbing is Carter's thing. He loves to climb those trees.

And he found this snail while climbing. It actually came out of its shell and moved across his hand and up his arm.

After leaving OKC, I headed to Eufaula to visit my parents. This unusual camping arrangement arrived for the weekend.

This was my spot. A waterfront lot as you can see.

But I was there when those tornados hit OK. This was what the clouds looked like. Luckily the closest they got to me was about 15 miles north.

Here is the 3rd grade class square dancing. I thought they did pretty good.

1 comment:

Barbara and Ron said...

Glad you're alright. I was just telling Ron that I never wanted to go to that area of the country during the spring.

I think the video of the tiger would have been hysterical.